[LUAU] HOSEF ?= LUG

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Sat Mar 29 11:35:26 PDT 2008

Michael, thank you for the very positive input.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Michael Bishop
<michael at michaelsplace.net> wrote:
>  As for eWaste, I think HOSEF, the foundation, should stop taking in
>  computer trash for money and go back to a standards based approach. Only
>  take in P3+, 19+ CRT, any LCD, servers, server parts and cool tech
>  stuff. I think donations of money should be requested, not required, to
>  cover the pickup costs and to perpetuate HOSEF.

I think you're being a bit too tolerant here, no one wants CRTs
anymore, best to get rid of them (properly) ASAP. Okay, I am
exaggerating, for enormous screens there are people who like them (in
fact, I still use a nice big CRT at work) but I think the policy
should be "no CRTs" and we can make an exception if we see some
beautiful monster. P3s also too old.

>  What do you think?

I'm sure there are advantages to having the LUG under the wing of
HOSEF, and the only disadvantages I see are that the board may have
other things on their mind. I hope that could be solved by giving the
LUG volunteers a set of reasonable constraints and let them handle
themselves. But I'm not a lawyer, there may be legal issues. Certainly
the LUG would support the educational aspect of HOSEF's mission.

Dave