[LUAU] Hello - My Name is HOSEF

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Fri Mar 28 15:02:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 10:30:03 Dave Burns wrote:
> also seemed possible that the whole thing is some personal vendetta
> or power sturggle between Scott and Jim.

Apparently it's *WAY* bigger than publicly known.
Until this blow-up I didn't have any awareness that HOSEF *had* a board,
as all the action has come from Scott. If any of the allegations
between Scott and Jim are true, and especially if they're all true,
then HOSEF maybe should just shut down. If it mostly blew up in anger,
then it's time to make peace, withdraw the allegations, and get on with
life. If it doesn't escalate to lawsuits, then maybe HOSEF should go on
with only one of them, not both... in which case, I'm going to
paraphrase Linus' "show me the code", and say that, it's pretty clear
that Scott has been the one to "show the community some action", and is
the one with a community reputation, and would be the one I'd have to
vote for if only one stays at HOSEF, regardless how HOSEF gets
restructured. If the allegations can be redacted, peace made, and an
alignment of will found, then maybe HOSEF can go on with both. As a
non-member, I have no vote in the matter, so maybe it's time for HOSEF
membership to be given the choice who to keep, in what positions, and
what HOSEF's agendae should be, considering the possibility of
replacing both Scott and Jim. FLOSS is about community, so the
community should chose, in this case, the community of HOSEF members.
Maybe neither Scott nor Jim should be in a position of power in HOSEF.
Without Scott and e-cycling, what have we got but a LUG that
occasionally sponsors FLOSS conferences? Everyone seems to agree that
"computer guts" classes should go on. That's a starting point. Again,
Scott's name is the only one I've seen affiliated with that activity.
I know that a variety of people donate time and energy, but it's always
been Scott who initiates, communicates, and leads everything.
It appears that both Scott and Jim have $ claims involved, and that the
present situation at HOSEF is cash poor, even if wealthy in e-waste.
It would seem sane to try to recover some $ value from the e-waste,
and square things $-wise with Scott and Jim. If they'd retract/redact
allegations and begin to communicate, then maybe all of this could move
back in-house as HOSEF's internal business, instead of dragging the
whole community with them into the out-house.

> I have two old Sun servers that I was going to donate to HOSEF. Does
> HOSEF still want them?

how much power do they eat?
are they cute little units?
or hulking behemoths filling whole 19" equipment racks?

--
"(I'll) Be Seeing You..."    All information and transactions are
private between the parties, and are non negotiable.   All rights