[LUAU] HOSEF

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Mar 27 04:43:39 PDT 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 12:53 AM, Vince Hoang wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:
>> The question becomes, "What is the better path?"
>>
>> Is it better to leave and minimize personal liability, or is it
>> better
>> to stand and face the wrath of someone now used to getting their way?
>
> In spirit and time, Scott == HOSEF. I simply do not see HOSEF
> succeeding without him. Unfortunately, he choose to not give himself
> any voting rights on the board and set himself up for legal anguish.

If nothing else, he will have learned to not repeat this mistake.  It
is a mistake that many entrepreneurs make, often to their detriment.

I had this thought early on in this spat, and decided that even though
the friendship was going to be lost, at least Scott would learn to not
put himself in the same position in the future.  A parting gift,
though perhaps an arrogant one.

Note as well that I have personally invited Scott to approach the
board in order to take one of the vacant seats.  Same would be subject
to a vote by
the existing board, but if he cleans up his act, and apologies to me
for the personal harm he's done, apologizes to the other board members
for his recent actions,
and vows to work *with* the board, rather than against it, he would
get my vote.

(In turn, I'll public apologize to Scott here and now for my part in
the escalation.)

> That was a huge mistake and I hope that he pulls through and fixes it.
> (I would prefer he proceed without a board to avoid future conflicts
> like this, even if it means dropping the non-profit status.)
>
> To be blunt? Take the high road and leave. Why fight and drag this on
> instead of redirecting your precious time and energy positively?

Because Scott has put HOSEF (the 501(c)3 in danger, and by extension
but the HOSEF board members in danger, and has also insulted all of
the existing board members by his recent action.

Man, I asked early on (on this list even) if the community wanted
HOSEF or not.

> Start something new and possibly better. Compete with Scott in a
> friendly
> way for mind share. You have good ideas that can complement HOSEF and
> Scott's efforts. I already registered a domain for this, unless you
> can think of something better than freesoftwarehawaii.org. If you have
> the time, the kuokoa distribution project could become its
> cornerstone.

I have no desire to compete with Scott.   I would honestly rather have
him *on the board* of HOSEF than outside it.

One of my issues is that Scott has created a situation where, as the
"Executive Director" he positions himself to appear to serve at the
behest of the board,
but in actually, doesn't.   Putting him *ON THE BOARD AS AN EQUAL*
might serve to repair that situation.   Then he would be one of many
(5, if the board is
fully staffed.)

At this point its up to him (and the other two board members).

>> If a watch has a broken mainspring, you can restore the watch to
>> functionality by replacing the spring.
>
> Much like your eWaste stance, get a new watch.

but the old watch still has value...