[LUAU] HOSEF

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Wed Mar 26 17:12:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 13:31:12 Jim Thompson wrote:
> Meanwhile, various people are sniping at me because I want to change
>   the direction of HOSEF *away* from eWaste recycling, and back to
> something focused on Free and Open Source.

Hawai'i Open Source Education Foundation
...the name says it all... it's mission is spreading FLOSS
(FLOSS daily to keep the Dr. away.)
now, what does it take to spead the FLOSSy goodness?
like *anything*, it takes $$$$$$$
therefore, whatever produces $$$$$ to support spreading the FLOSS
message is a good thing, and nothing like the resurrection of
othwise destined-for-the-landfill reuse of hardware
by lightweight FLOSS can possibly be better at spreading FLOSSing.
i.e. many computers relegated by Apple and MicroShaft to the landfill,
remain actually *useful* be re-baptizing them with FLOSS, and the best
implementor of that is HOSEF. HOSEF is good. HOSEF *does* good.

> I think that the Computer / CE manufacturers will shortly overrun the
>   'market' for such services, based on the California law alone.
>  This makes the 'viability' of HOSEF based on eWaste recycling
> short-term at- best.

Until it no longer succeeds, HOSEF is the penultimate
example of turning shit into benefits for the community.
If you've got a better solution to the world's problems,
then go ahead and manifest it, meanwhile, take your
criticisms of HOSEF and shove 'em up /dev/null.

> Scott has thrown up a lot of smokescreen on
> this front, claiming that HOSEF can't change its "sustaining
> activity" or the IRS will revoke HOSEF's 501(c)3 status (It won't,
> and I've shown how its easy to do.)

Even if you're correct that Scott has his head up his ass, then
Go ahead and create your alternative to HOSEF,
meanwhile leave HOSEF to do what it does best.
If you sincerely believe you can do better than Scott,
then *do* *so*! Create your alternative, and
*make* *it* *happen*... it's a free world,
and HOSEF *can* *not* stand in your way.
Scott created HOSEF, and he and it don't answer to you.
If you *really* *believe* that you can do better,
there is nothing, including Scott and HOSEF,
standing in your way. Stop opposing Scott and HOSEF,
and create your positive alternative. *IFF* your
alternative is *actually* better than HOSEF and Scott,
then everyone will jump ship and join your movement
and then Scott and HOSEF will fade away.

*Any*one can criticize what others have created.
*Nothing* of Scott or HOSEF *can* stand in your way.
If you don't like Scott or HOSEF, then stop bitching,
and *create* the *postive* *alternative*.

Truth will out. If *your* idea truly *is* better,
then everyone will migrate to it. It takes no brains
and no effort to criticise, so just stop it.
If your ideas are superior, then *go* manifest them,
and everyone will recognize your superiority,
and migrate from HOSEF/Scott to your creation.
Otherwise, shut the *frak* up!

> Meanwhile, Scott has acted to incumber HOSEF,

you probably meant "encumber"

> often without board
> oversight prior to the decision being made.

Scott has performed miracles for the benefit of *both*
the FLOSS community, and the local community with the
repurposing of otherwise landfill material to serve
educational purposes and helping the disempowered/disenfranchised,
e.g. providing K12LTSP labs for a variety of Hawai'i schools, and
FLOSS for free computing for people and places that otherwise
wouldn't have *any* computing resources.

> For those of you who
> don't   know, Scott recently added a 'storefront' for selling
> recycled computers in an Ewa Beach auto parts store.

So what?

> The board has
> *no* idea what the terms of that relationship are, nor has Scott
> chosen to respond to board inquiries on this, or other matters.

So what?

> There is a lot I could say here about HOSEF matters but this is the
> LUAU list.

So, contribute on LUAU *anything* which actually *adds* to,
versus *takes* *away* *from* the community...
rather than criticizing what is, if you don't *frackin'* like what is,
then create a positive alternative, and leave alone
those who have done their best to *both*
promote FLOSS, and *help* the community.

> I can't post this discussion to hosef-managers, because Scott has
> erected himself as "moderator" of that list, and has already chosen
> to   reject messages at his whim.

If you find that "what is" is less than what you can create,
and you're unwilling to support "what is" then go ahead
and create the positive alternative, otherwise, piss off.
If Scott/HOSEF's mailing lists don't support your agenda(e),
then create your own frackin' mailing list! It's not like
FLOSS doesn't include mailman as an installable option:
BASH> sudo aptitude install mailman
is trivial... so *do* *it*.
I'll subscribe to your mailing list...
just to see what you create that's
*better* *than* what Scott has created.

Criticism of others takes no brains and minimal effort.
If you don't like what others created, then
create the *positive* *alternative*!
Neither Scott nor HOSEF *can* *stop* you!

Aloha, Angela Kahealani

--
"(I'll) Be Seeing You..."    All information and transactions are
private between the parties, and are non negotiable.   All rights