[LUAU] Mail Back: USPS to recycle (some) e-waste free of charge

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Mar 26 16:31:12 PDT 2008

I think what we're seeing here is the leading edge of the computer /
consumer electronics manufacturers getting into the game based on the
years-old law in California that essentially forces their hand.

Apple will take back up to 60 lbs of your ewaste for $30 if you
haven't recently bought a Mac.  That includes shipping, even from
Hawaii, but you have to supply the box.   Periodically they have a
"just bring it all" campaign (likely so they can get the 'weight'
needed to stay in compliance with the California law), and this too
works in Hawaii.   This is a "consumer" program, though Apple also has
an "Enterprise" program as well.

Yes, I believe that the USPS one will rapidly expand to all 50
states.  I doubt they send the circuit board back. though they likely
can't use it, either.

Some of these programs were already known, but I found the USPS one
surprising in its scope.   Even the least tech-savvy person can
typically find the local Post Office.

Meanwhile, various people are sniping at me because I want to change
the direction of HOSEF *away* from eWaste recycling, and back to
something focused on Free and Open Source.

I think that the Computer / CE manufacturers will shortly overrun the
'market' for such services, based on the California law alone.  This
makes the 'viability' of HOSEF based on eWaste recycling short-term at-
best.  Scott has thrown up a lot of smokescreen on this front,
claiming that HOSEF can't change its "sustaining activity" or the IRS
will revoke HOSEF's 501(c)3 status (It won't, and I've shown how its
easy to do.)

Meanwhile, Scott has acted to incumber HOSEF, often without board
oversight prior to the decision being made. For those of you who don't
know, Scott recently added a 'storefront' for selling recycled
computers in an Ewa Beach auto parts store.  The board has *no* idea
what the terms of that relationship are, nor has Scott chosen to
respond to board inquiries on this, or other matters.   There is a lot
I could say here about HOSEF matters but this is the LUAU list.

I can't post this discussion to hosef-managers, because Scott has
erected himself as "moderator" of that list, and has already chosen to
reject messages at his whim.