[LUAU] Ubuntu LoCo

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Mar 7 16:13:27 PST 2008

Aloha LUAU

Many people are probably familiar with Ubuntu and its rising popularity.
  As a way to encourage grass-roots participation and outreach, they
have a network of LoCos.  Hawaii has one

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hawaii

and it has fallen into my lap.  Needless to say, but I will, the
strength of Free and Open Source Software is in the diversity and
multitude of people working together towards the same goals.

It is a wonderful thing, and I would just assume make it into something
as special as HOSEF, but it is not my place to do so.  I have a focus
and a way to try to make some impact already.  Perhaps one of you would
like to lead this LoCo and get involved.

There is a real need for more focus on development, I know, especially
on LUAU.  The Launchpad portal makes it very convenient to join in bug
hunting for upcoming releases, to create new projects, or to manage your
own.  In the right hands there is opportunity for someone to steer this
group towards

1. Bug hunting for Edubuntu.  We have labs in 4 parks and 4 classrooms,
so there is plenty of R&D ground.
2. Bug hunting for the upcoming Ubuntu LTS
3. Speaking publicly
4. Organizing events
5. Tons of things that I cannot imagine

In the interest of fostering more innovation and economic opportunity,
the more of this that happens, the better.  While we in Hawaii have been
struggling to determine how to blend charity with profit, our friends in
Norway have not

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2008/03/msg00016.html (1)

Their work through Skolelinux and Debian-Edu, is a thing of
collaborative, cooperative beauty that we should learn from.

--scott

(1)