[LUAU] Wine 1.0 can be amazing

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sat Jul 5 13:22:41 PDT 2008

Wine development has grown by leaps and bounds, but unfortunately,
that's been from utter garbage to a sometimes passable API.  You'll
almost surely need to execute some or all of the suggestions on
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9194 for
Guild Wars, including reading up on all the bugs.

Aside from Guild Wars, you may benefit from some of the modifications
from http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks .  I've never really gotten
anything to work without importing a dozen or so .dll files from Windows
XP and turning on native mode for them.  There used to be problems with
the installer that came with wine, which caused it to skip certain
registry keys.  So I had to take a Windows install of the program,
export its registry keys, then import them into my wine environment.

Wine has gotten a lot better, but until they add features like working
anti-aliasing, back-buffering, and predictable sound output, my games
are running on Windows.  I used to run EVE on Wine at 0.5fps, whereas on
Windows, it was close to 300fps.  I played with all sorts of options and
dll files, read every forum entry and every workaround, and never found
an answer besides Wine fundamentally doesn't support back-buffering,
which is used extensively by EVE.  So I gave up.  Maybe Wine will
finally implement all of DirectX 9 by the time all games require DirectX
10...

-Eric Hattemer