[LUAU] Serving Apples: Integrating Mac OS X clients into a Fedora network

Julian Cowley julian at lava.net
Tue Jan 22 20:19:05 PST 2008

>> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/01/17/serving-apples-integrating-mac-os-x-clients-into-a-fedora-network/
>>
>> A tutorial on Directory Services using OpenLDAP in a typical scenario...
>>
>> This is why Active Directory dominates the market.
>
> Kewl, just given it a quick peek but so far, it looks like something on a
> topic I've been wanting to read up on for some time.
> (Apple + OpenLDAP + Kerberos = ?)
>
> /me waves at ex-co-worker!
> Is the Other Julian on this list as well?

Yup.  I've been on the list for years, but I mostly lurk.  I think I've
posted here like maybe once before.

Obligatory content:

The best software I've found so far for managing an OpenLDAP server (but
it should work with any LDAP server really), is Apache Directory Studio,
part of the Apache Directory Project.

http://directory.apache.org/studio/

It's probably the closest thing out there to Active Directory, but that's
not saying much since it has no high-level features for managing users,
resources, delegations, etc.  However, if you like a GUI where you can
drill down into objects in a hierarchical manner, it's an improvement over
the OpenLDAP command-line utilities such as ldapadd or ldapsearch.  I'd
recommend using it if you go through the above tutorial.