[LUAU] Low-cost Linux hardware

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Jan 21 15:13:05 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Michael J Wise wrote:

> Of late, i've grown tired of making a Mac do weird server things.
> (ie, making 10.3.9 client behave like a full-blown server, etc.)

its just software.

> What's best these days for a cheap, headless Linux server to use for
> setting up a small server or cluster?
> No need, as such, just yet, for RAID.
> Although I would prefer something that fits in a rack, and that was
> inexpensive.

expense is relative.

We sell several boards that run linux
<http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_83&products_id=516>

there are other sources for all of those...

these allow you to mount two of (some of) those boards in a 1U rack:
<http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=369>

there are also various mini-itx boards and cases, see: mini-box.com
and mini-itx.com

along with loading linux on a mac mini <http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/
 > or other SFF system, such as <http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/
spec.htm>

macmini rackmount; <http://www.markandjo.com/markblog/?p=3>  :-)
OK, OK, macmini rackmount: <http://www.macminicolo.net/index.html>

or you could take one of these: <http://www.sonnettech.com/product/maccuffmini.html

or these: <http://www.cinnamon-peripherals.ca/products/cinnamount-mini/industrial-edition/

and mount one (or more) to a garden-variety rackmount shelf. <http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UTR1/

course, cheap 1U Intel boxes can be had too: <http://www.abmx.com/1u-short-depth-rackmount-server-p-319.html?gclid=CLeT6I-5iJECFQY8gwodA2x2Gw

> Suggestions?

you have what I came up with in 4 minutes while typing this.

> Is there any local supplier of such things?

we're local, though we ship out of Texas (warehousing in Hawaii is
horrid and expensive), to say nothing of the labor/employee hoops here..

Jim