[LUAU] Did Microsoft give up?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Feb 22 11:12:13 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 12:33 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

You're talking about something different here.

My statement stands.

>> * Documenting how Microsoft supports industry standards and
>> extensions
>> * Enhancing Office 2007 to provide greater flexibility of document
>> formats
>> * Launching the Open Source Interoperability Initiative
>> * Expanding industry outreach and dialogue.
>>
>> Looking deeper into the announcement, much of what Microsoft’s doing
>> is providing a more accessible platform for third-party developers to
>> tap into their ecosystem of multi-billion dollar software franchises.
>
> This is a precise description of the Samba code.  Without Windows,
> the samba server would be of no account.  The reason that the Samba
> code is so valuable is precisely because that multi-billion dollar
> Windows software franchise exists.

Jebus, its not about Samba at *all*.   Its about plugging new, foreign
code into Office and Sharepoint.

>> For example, the company is launching APIs for Word, Excel, and
>> Powerpoint, and publishing tens of thousands of pieces of
>> documentation to its MSDN site.
>>
>> They're playing the same game with a new mask.
>>
>> They'll license their patented protocols to all comers "at low,
>> reasonable rates".
>>

> Except that those protocols are worthless unless used.

But Microsoft uses them, you just pointed out that they are very, very
large.

> What exactly do you expect from a commercial entity?  A business
> that comes up with a new idea is going to patent it and try to make
> money from it.

Not a foregone conclusion, especially if you mean "make money via
patent licensing (or litigation)".

Many companies don't do this.

Moreover businesses don't come up with new ideas, people do.

> As for protocol patents, the world standards bodies like IETF have
> been under enormous pressure to make
> absolutely sure that any corporate contribution to standardized
> protocol development is not covered under a patent.  They have
> mistakenly let a few slip through, but I do not think we will see a
> repeat of the Unisys GIF extortion racket in the future.

While the IETF has a "no patent licenses required", and W3C has a zero-
cost royalty policy, other standards bodies (such as IEEE) only
require that the patent be licensed on a non-discriminatory basis.

And it just gets worse from there (ITU, for example).   Your statement
rings false.

> And if any open source developer is stupid enough to write to a
> protocol interface that isn't standardized by one of the
> standards bodies, then the public nature of Open Source should take
> care of making sure his stuff isn't adopted.

Unless its useful.  As a somewhat dramatic example, where would the
"web" be without people developing a new protocol called HTTP, *long*
before it was standardized.

There are hundreds more examples like this, too.

>> They have stated that they won't sue open source developers that
>> make products that connect to theirs.
>
> Consider that there is no such thing as a global patent, if those
> developers aren't in the US it's likely MS wouldn't have grounds
> to sue even if the developer did use one of their protocols.

"no such thing as a global patent", true, but treaties tend to make
this "all but true".
The Patent Cooperation Treaty was concluded in 1970, amended in 1979,
and modified in 1984 and 2001.

It is open to States party to the Paris Convention for the Protection
of Industrial Property (1883). Instruments of ratification or
accession must be deposited with the Director General of WIPO.

The Treaty makes it possible to seek patent protection for an
invention simultaneously in each of a large number of countries by
filing an "international" patent application. Such an application may
be filed by anyone who is a national or resident of a Contracting
State. It may generally be filed with the national patent office of
the Contracting State of which the applicant is a national or resident
or, at the applicant's option, with the International Bureau of WIPO
in Geneva. If the applicant is a national or resident of a Contracting
State which is party to the European Patent Convention, the Harare
Protocol on Patents and Industrial Designs (Harare Protocol), the
revised Bangui Agreement Relating to the Creation of an African
Intellectual Property Organization or the Eurasian Patent Convention,
the international application may also be filed with the European
Patent Office (EPO), the African Regional Industrial Property
Organization (ARIPO), the African Intellectual Property Organization
(OAPI) or the Eurasian Patent Office (EAPO), respectively.

The international application is then subjected to what is called an
"international search." That search is carried out by one of the major
patent offices appointed by the PCT Assembly as an International
Searching Authority (ISA). The said search results in an
"international search report," that is, a listing of the citations of
such published documents that might affect the patentability of the
invention claimed in the international application.  At the same time,
the ISA prepares a written opinion on patentability.

The international search report and the written opinion are
communicated by the ISA to the applicant who may decide to withdraw
his application, in particular where the said report or opinion makes
the granting of patents unlikely.

And then there is the Patent Law Treaty of 2000: <http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/plt/trtdocs_wo038.html#P71_4394

So your statement rings hollow.   (Do you know anything about Patent
law?)

>> They have also stated that they won't sue open source developers or
>> non-commercial  distributors of software that uses their protocols.
>> If you're RedHat, or a company that uses Debian or Ubuntu, you still
>> have to license their patents.
>>

> Sounds fine to me.  I don't know about you but I've been
> increasingly concerned about how much money has been creeping into
> open source distribution lately.
>
> When people are paying the same amount for a copy of Linux as they
> are for a copy of Windows, to me it defeats the entire point of Open
> Source - you might as well just buy the commercial stuff.

Thats because you think the value of Open Source is low cost, not
Freedom.

Jim