[LUAU] high performance SCP/SSH

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Sun Feb 17 12:00:34 PST 2008

Clifton Royston wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:05:51AM -1000, Angela Kahealani wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2008-02-17 04:20:18 Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> I can't believe this hasn't been incorporated in the official OpenSSH
>>>   yet, even though it's been out there for years. No wait, I actually
>>> can. The explanation is that the OpenSSH developers are idiots. IIRC,
>>> of the last 4 SSH security holes, 3 were only in the OpenSSH
>>> implementation (and the fourth one was also in OpenSSH).

>>> OpenBSD: security via navel-gazing...
>>>
>> Would it be irresponsible extrapolation upon only a few data points,
>> to conclude that your conclusion is, that Linux has surpassed OpenBSD,
>> in both speed (both network speed and development speed), and security?
>>

>   Speaking for myself, not Jim, I'm not sure.  The very conservative
> approach (read maniacal scrutiny) of many OpenBSD developers towards
> new code has been a positive for security (while a negative for
> progress) but the blinkered "We can do no wrong" attitude that keeps
> cropping up with them gets in the way of the good they could be doing.
> At this point they may well cancel each other out on security.  At any
> rate, I got too frustrated with OpenBSD years ago and switched to
> FreeBSD.
>
>   It's really impossible to do an apples-apples compare between Linux
> and OpenBSD because Linux is a kernel - missing the core utilities and
> the package system needed to make up a complete OS.  You really need to
> look mostly at the latter, because by this point most of the security
> vulnerabilities come in at the utilities or packages level.  Each Linux
> distro has a separate set of policies around it and may have very
> different security history, whereas each of the BSD operating systems
> is a complete system.  While there are still some kernel level security
> bugs - one quite recently - lately the rate they're reported in Linux
> 2.6 has dropped to around the very low level associated with the *BSD
> kernels.
>
>   When you look more broadly than security... I hate to say it, being a
> huge FreeBSD advocate, but it's my gut feeling that at this point the
> Linux kernel may have drawn ahead of FreeBSD in general stability, and
> FreeBSD is trying to catch up again.  I can give some examples, but
> they're probably OT.  One of these years I really need to see how
> NetBSD does on these issues.
>
>   -- Clifton

Aloha Clifton,

Yes FreeBSD wins....
I became frustrated with Linux years ago , way to many flavors . As of
today  I have 3 servers  running FreeBSD  7 and  a desktop box and 1
mail server using the FreeBSD (Current) 8 . They just work and FreeBSD
is  well supported from the FreeBSD Questions list.

Al

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc at hdk5.net +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +