[LUAU] OpenMCU older version?

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 3 23:00:35 PST 2008

Dang...just after I sent this I found the answer at
http://www.voxgratia.org/docs/faq.html#1_11

So it would seem that the debian/ubuntu/rhel package called OpenMCU is audio
only...but if you want audio conferencing for free...it has potential, but
is a bit of a pain to setup.

There is a software MCU (multipoint control unit) out there, but it's no
longer opensource.
http://www.stonevoice.com/Products/SoftwareMCU/tabid/975/Default.aspx

Well I guess it was just a bit to expect...the reason why hardware MCU's are
so stinking expensive is all the video digital signal processors (DSP's)
with even "small" units (12 participants at 384kb/sec with H.264 codec) are
in the $25k range.

So it's looking like if you want video conferencing on the cheap you'll need
to use something like ekiga to do SIP based video....but I don't think
trixbox can handle video in the conferencing feature.

/brian chee

--
Brian Chee
University of Hawai'i at Manoa