[LUAU] How long should it take to put a system together?

Karen Lofstrom klofstrom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 23:07:31 PDT 2008

Y'all gave me some advice on low-cost PC parts. Put the computer
together today. Took me about two hours to do the basic assembly (damn
cheap case; brute force required to get screw holes in DVD RW drive to
line up with slots in drive bay; blood sacrifice followed) and ...

another two hours to figure out that the small fan for the rear of the
case needed an adapter so that it would plug into a Molex connector,
then drive to PTC to get a fan with adapter.

I was slow because I haven't built a whole system for years; I haven't
done much besides installing new parts when old ones fail. I hesitate
to charge my boss for ALL the time I spent putting things together.
What's a reasonable amount of time for which to charge? How long would
it take an experienced assembler to put a system unit together from
scratch, using parts that he/she hadn't previously used? (Part of my
time was spent reading manuals.)  45 minutes? An hour?

(System still not working. Need to buy keyboard and mouse with USB
connectors, OR buy adapters to fit old PS2 plugs into USB slots.
Should have figured that out before I went to PTC, not afterwards.
D'oh.)

--
Karen Lofstrom