[LUAU] Who's in charge of this group? - Inter group meeting BerkeleyTIP-Global August 2 Saturday

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri Aug 1 06:17:16 PDT 2008

Hello from Berkeley, Luauers :)

Please tell me - who is in charge in this group?

I ask because I'm wondering: who are the person(s) who might be the ones
to help arrange & coordinate an inter group meeting?

I wonder that, because I'm putting together a great new event, a global
GNU(Linux)/BSD type software & free culture meeting.

It is a meeting for people interested in learning about, using &
creating GNU & BSD type software & culture.

I call the local Berkeley meeting the BerkeleyTIP -
  (Talks, Installfest, Potluck & ProgrammingParty)

And I call the global simultaneous set of local meetings the
Berkeley-TIP-Global meeting.

I'm wondering
1) If anyone at your group might be interested in joining together in
this event with others around the world, and if so, then
2) who might be the person(s) to head up handling arrangements, &
coordination, etc, for the joint meeting?

If this sounds to you like it might be interesting, here is some info
for you to read:

=====  CONTENTS:
1) THE BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE MEETING
2) WHAT HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR
3) WHAT TO DO NEXT
4) JOIN WITH US TOMORROW, AUGUST 2, SATURDAY
   FOR THE FIRST BerkeleyTIP-Global-USA MEETING?
5) VIDEO TALKS FOR AUGUST 2 MEETING
6) SUMMARY

=====  1) THE BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE MEETING  =====

The basic idea is a monthly meeting, a full day at the beginning of each
month, the first Saturday of each month, simultaneous throughout Earth,
with these four components:

There are 4 PARALLEL TRACKS of activities:
1) TALKS        Talks by various speakers (stream/DL video globally)
2) INSTALLFEST  Bring your computer & install BSD or GNU/Linux software.
3) POTLUCK      Bring food to share or $5: eat, chat (optional)
4) PROGRAMMING PARTY     Write SW on your. or a group. project

We will have IRC & VOIP communications between the groups, enabling
information sharing, & work on development projects, etc.  It's like a
GNU-Linux user group meeting, on a global scale. Or, it's like a whole
earth GNU-Linux user group meeting.

=====  2) WHAT HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR  =====

I'm doing this in my "spare" part time, as a volunteer effort for the
GNU(Linux)/BSD community.  By education I'm an electrical engineer (with
a bit of computer science).  I've been a GNU(Linux) user for about 10
years, and a member of San Francisco Bay Area & Silicon Valley LUGs for
that long.

When I decided to work on doing this, about 2 months ago, I decided to
just work slowly, steadily, & build it up a step at a time.

So far, we've had two successful local meetings here in Berkeley. A
first start up meeting, just to get together & talk & plan.  Next month
we worked on getting WiFi going at the meeting so it would be easy to
share an internet connection for everyone. We also got an IRC channel up
which the meeting attendees logged into.

Now, this month, I've gotten a Google Groups mailing list & web page for
both the local, & global groups.  And, I'm now working on sending out
the announcement about this meeting, & finding out which people at other
groups are interested in this.  And I'll try to work to help groups like
yours, that have members who are interested in this, get started in
getting connected with this meeting.

=====  3) WHAT TO DO NEXT  =====

So, if anyone there is interested based on what I've said so far, there
are several things that could be done:

personally, are interested in.
2) As part of that, discuss among your local selves if the individuals
who are interested would like to work to get a local simultaneous
meeting going.
3) Figure out who at your group would lead that effort, or would work on
arranging it.
4) Read the Berkeley-TIP-Global website, & join it's mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

The Global group is open to anyone joining - not just the local group
leaders.  In fact, it is _encouraged_ that everyone interested in the
meeting join the list - the input on discussions from everyone
interested will benefit everyone else.

There is more to know about this event than I can put in this email.
I've put much of that information up on the website, so I encourage you
to scan or read it over.  Hopefully that will answer most of the
questions you have.  If not, please join that group & post questions,
comments & suggestions for improvement to the mailing list.

=====  4) JOIN WITH US TOMORROW, AUGUST 2                =====
=====     FOR THE FIRST BerkeleyTIP-Global-USA MEETING?  =====

If anyone in your group is a bit experienced, or up for some fun, you
might want to pull a meeting together & join with us tomorrow, Saturday
for our first effort to have a multi-site meeting.

This month, I'm just focusing on getting the word out to USA groups.  I
call this month the Global-USA effort.  In future months I'll expand it
to working to get groups connected from the Americas, Europe, then Asia.

It's easy to join in with us -
1) Just find someplace with at least internet capability for IRC (better
if it could do VOIP, but that's not necessary for the first meeting) -
it could be merely someone's home or apartment, an internet cafe, or a
school or office room.
2) Post an announcement to your local list that everyone is invited.
3) Come to your local meeting & get on IRC with us.
4) Download some videos & watch them simultaneously with all the
participating groups.
5) Talk about the videos, or whatever, on IRC, or VOIP.

That's all there is to it.

=====  5) VIDEO TALKS FOR AUGUST 2 MEETING  =====

For this first meeting, tomorrow, Saturday, I've scheduled the following
videos to watch (All times Pacific Daylight Savings Time, adjust for
local time accordingly.):

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:

1000 AM--------------------------------------------------------------
Network1:  Asterisk VOIP - Sameer Verma
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2148055040572903738
                http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/MeetingAgenda20070628
Social:     ?
1130 AM--------------------------------------------------------------
Network2:  Debian - Setup A WiFi Repeater
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJKe_jXszFc
Prog Lang:  Painless Python Part 1 - Alex Martelli
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=bDgD9whDfEY
                http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2008-June/003629.html
Database:   A Googly MySQL Cluster
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJ930zMk96U
100 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
GUIs:       ?
Distros:    git - Linus Torvalds
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2199332044603874737
230 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
Business:   Web 2.0 startups - David Weekly
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2765503550413131030
                http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/MeetingAgenda20080626
Education:  Python on the OLPC XO Laptop
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPabiIHgmBU

=====  6) SUMMARY  =====

Well, that is the basic information.

Does this sound interesting to you?  Please reply to this email & let me
know.

I look forward to hearing from you. :)

http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal