[LUAU] MySQL and other SQL Engines

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Wed Apr 16 22:00:25 PDT 2008

http://jcole.us/blog/archives/2008/04/14/just-announced-mysql-to-launch-new-features-only-in-mysql-enterprise/
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2008/04/15/partially-opensourced/

Regarding Sun's latest experiment: MySQL. I'm not so sure they are
trying to learn from MySQL as much as trying to push the limit of how
much money they can make off of open source without enraging the users.

What do you think?

Either way, it's the push I need to check out alternatives:

http://www.postgresql.org/
http://www.firebirdsql.org/
http://www.sqlite.org/

At PyCon it seemed to me that PostgreSQL was the choice of many core
project developers. With outstanding DB toolkits like SQLAlchemy. It
should be fairly painless to move to other SQL engines with proper planning.

Any suggestions for good resources about PostgreSQL performance tuning
and best practices?

Michael