[LUAU] Hawaii Geek Meet this Sunday!

Wed Apr 16 08:52:03 PDT 2008

Aloha!

I've been organizing an all-comers "Geek Meet" taking place at Magic
Island on Sunday, and it's bringing together a pretty good mix of
technical and creative people.  Of course, I think the brilliant minds
linked to LUAU are also the perfect demographic for this event.
Heaven knows, we all could stand to get a little sun!

You are all, of course, enthusiastically invited.  It'd be awesome to
have a LUAU presence (with some friendly open-source evangelism), but
even if folks just want to come down spontaneously, that would be
great!  And feel free to pass this on to any of your own geek friends
-- however they might respond to the label "geek."

The amateur radio folks struggling with CentOS, as I mentioned, will
be among the other groups there!

You can find information about the event at:

http://www.hawaiigeek.com

And the Star-Bulletin published a fun write up today:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/04/16/business/engle.html

Below is the 'About' page from the site.  Thanks for your consideration!

Mahalo,

Ryan

-------------------- Begin forwarded message --------------------

Q. What is the Hawaii Geek Meet?

A. "A geek swap meet without the selling? A geek 'Taste of Honolulu'
where you sample ideas (and bring your own food)?"

The Hawaii Geek Meet is a casual, friendly, open potluck gathering of
geeks.  And we mean "geek" in a most inclusive, positive way. Do you
like technology?  Do you have a specialty?  Among your friends or
coworkers, are you the guru, the go-to person for things that blink or
have moving parts?  Whether you're passionate about programming,
photography, design, HAM radio, model rockets, painting, teaching...
we want to meet you.

For specific and focused local groups, the Hawaii Geek Meet is a great
excuse to see old friends and catch up on the latest tips and trends.
But at the same time, the idea of Hawaii Geek Meet is to mix and
mingle with other brilliant people, people you might never meet in
your own circles, but people with whom we'd bet you'd get along
smashingly.

The Hawaii Geek Meet is the brainchild of Burt Lum (of Bytemarks) and
Aaron Dragushan (of Manoa Geeks), but truly belongs to all Hawaii
geeks!

Q. Who is invited?

A. Anyone who is remotely geeky about anything. Web developers,
designers, programmers, photographers, videographers, podcasters,
bloggers, even artists, teachers, thinkers... Are you knowledgeable
and passionate about something?  Are you naturally curious and
interested in learning about something?  Do you want to meet new
people, share what you know, and learn a thing or two that you don't?
Then you're invited. Bring your friends, your family, your kids... and
if you've got geek toys and gadgets, bring them too!

The core of the Hawaii Geek Meet are several local groups that already
get together to talkstory and share knowledge. A list can be found at
http://www.hawaiigeek.com.

Q. When will it be held?

A. Sunday, April 20, 2008.

Q. Where will it be held?

A. Magic Island at Ala Moana Beach Park, Picnic site #40.  You can
view and print a PDF map of Magic Island at http://www.hawaiigeek.com.

Q. Why?

A. Why not?