[LUAU] Re: [HOSEF-announce] Free Access in the Parks

Daniel D. Suthers suthers at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 8 15:40:39 PDT 2007

Nice idea. I have previously expressed my concern that your
computer-lab approach to computers in schools places scheduling,
interpersonal and administrative constraints on what teachers can
do with computers; and computers in the classrooms would be much
better. (I understand the technical reasons concerning networking.)
But this has the potential to provide more open access.

I can forward this to a student list here.

Dan Suthers

--On September 8, 2007 7:38:59 AM -1000 "R. Scott Belford"
<scott at hosef.org> wrote:

> Aloha All
>
> Most of you know what HOSEF does.  For those who do not, let me
> provide
> a quick reminder.  We build educational opportunities around
> previously
> discarded computers and Free Software.  For the past 5 years we
> have
> kept thousands for computers from the landfill, provided
> countless hours
> of free classes and workshops, and done our best to change lives
> for the
> better.
>
> We are beginning a new initiative, and with your help we will be
> coming
> to a park near you.  We are putting free computers and wireless
> Internet
> in our City parks.  First we did Ewa, then we did Kalihi, and this
> Sunday we will be adding Nanakuli and Maile to the list.  In the
> months
> to come we will be seeking sponsors and members to help us put
> the same
> setup in all parks on the island of Oahu.
>
> It's a very simple project ripe with opportunities to help.  You
> can
> help us on Saturdays at the Boys and Girls Club in Ewa Beach
> where we
> receive, test, and prepare the computers.  You can help us on
> installation days.  We need volunteers willing to stop by the
> parks to
> check on things after the computers are installed.  If you are
> interested in advanced skills, we can use assistance monitoring
> our
> sites with tools like Nagios.  We also need more HOSEF membership
> so
> that we can fund the ISP connections.
>
> Opportunities will be coming fast and furious.  For this weekend,
> September 8 and 9, you can take part in our activities at the
> following
> times
>
> Saturday, September 8 - Hale Pono Boys and Girls Club - Ewa Beach
> 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Getting the computers and supplies ready
> No skills needed.  Anyone can be helpful.
>
> Sunday, September 9 - Nanakuli Beach Park - Nanakuli
> 11:00 - 2:00 - Cabling and Installing 4 Computers
> Help needed carrying things, plugging things in, and cabling
>
> Sunday, September 9 - Maile District Park - Maile (off St. Johns
> Road)
> 2:00 - 5:00 - Cabling and Installing 4 Computers
> Help needed carrying things, plugging things in, and cabling
>
> Upcoming projects include
>
> 1. Two more computer labs at Kailua Intermediate
> 2. Children and Youth Day at the State Capitol
> 3. Discover Recycling Fair at the Blaisdell
> 4. Park Installations across Oahu
> 5. Senior Citizen computer classes in Ewa
>

> If you will make it, drop me a note.  If you want to help
> transport a few things from our Ewa warehouse to the parks
> Sunday, let me know. Hope to See You Around

> [...]

_________________
Daniel D. Suthers
Dept. of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
1680 East West Road, POST 309
Honolulu, HI 96822 USA
(808) 956-3890 voice  <-- When requiring action within few days
(808) 741-5686 mobile <-- For issues requiring immediate action
(808) 956-3548 fax
mailto:suthers at hawaii.edu  <-- May take up to a week to read

Graduate Program Chair, Communication and Information Sciences
  http://www.hawaii.edu/cis/
Associate Professor, Information and Computer Sciences
  http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/
Director, Laboratory for Interactive Learning Technologies
  http://lilt.ics.hawaii.edu/
Co-PI, Hawai`i Networked Learning Communities
  http://www.hnlc.org/
Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Multi-Agency Education Project
  http://hawaiianatolls.org/
Assoc. Editor, Int. J. Computer Supported Collaborative Learning
  http://ijcscl.org/
Assoc. Exec. Editor,
  Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning
  http://www.apsce.net/RPTEL_Purpose_and_Scope.htm