[LUAU] all your hash are belong to us

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sat Sep 1 21:21:36 PDT 2007

find some scrapped HD video stunt box boards on ebay,
do a little world-class hacking,
and break "secure" hash functions while you wait

http://nsa.unaligned.org/index.php

Now for the bad news...

(A) He's using 4 year old hardware.  Apply 3 cycles of Moore's Law.
     (Literally,  He's using Virtex II, and Virtex V is out.)

(B) His result, searching the 8-char keyspace in one day, implies that
     he's using a single box.  64**8 keys / 15 FPGAs / 200 MHz (approx)
     = 94000 seconds =~ 1 day.  There's nothing keeping someone with
     a real hardware budget from ganging a few racks of these together.

So where do we go from here?  Secure hashes are a very useful
mechanism, but between this hack (and obvious extrapolations of what
it can do) and the Chinese collision generation algorithms, the
commonly used hash functions aren't looking so good.

Do we just move further up the SHA chain, sha-256, sha-512, etc.,
or are they just buying us a few years?

Jim