[LUAU] headless fedora

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Oct 22 11:40:07 PDT 2007

Peter Besenbruch wrote:
> Dave Burns wrote:
>> Maybe I should go in the opposite order - I
>> can log in over the serial connection when it is still booted runlevel
>> 5 and has a monitor attached, can't I?
>
> You can, but you can also use a remote desktop connection.

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that having a monitor and a graphical
desktop doesn't hinder you from doing anything.  I'll give you a chance
to configure it and make sure everything is working before disconnecting
it.  You can test ssh, look into vnc, and make sure it all works from
off your local network before disconnecting anything.

The other thing to think about is that as long as you can guarantee
something like sshd will be running, a second ethernet card with no
firewall rules might be easier than a serial console.  If you have
multiple machines that will be on most of the time, I suggest you setup
netconsole so that you can get kernel crash reports, and maybe something
like nagios so that you can get emailed if something goes down.

-Eric Hattemer