[LUAU] help on port 25

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Fri Nov 9 21:34:57 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 09:13:57PM -0800, goku ball z wrote:
> hi vince, this is what I get when I do a netstat -an | grep 25
>
>   tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 ::1:25                  :::*                    LISTEN
>
>    very strange.....  port 25 is fine......

  Right, this shows exactly what I pointed out in my first suggestion,
and what Vince told you in the email you are replying to.

  See that 127.0.0.1:25?  This means the MTA is explicitly configured
to listen *only* on localhost.  The ::1:25 is the IPv6 equivalent.  If
it were listening on all addresses, you'd see *:25 instead.

  Now that I know it's Postfix, you need to go find and edit your
Postfix master.cf; configure it to listen on your public IP address.
Then do a "postfix stop" and "postfix start".  Then go grep your mail
server logs, most likely /var/log/maillog, because if you haven't got
past this point there will most likely be other errors in the Postfix
configuration you need to fix before you can actually accept mail.

  HTH.  Oh, and do go buy the Postfix book Vince suggested.  Patrick
Koetter and Ralf know their stuff.
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net