[LUAU] Fwd: [honolulu-coders] SysAdmin position

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed May 30 11:13:46 PDT 2007

Hi Clifton,
Honolulu-coders is a small group that meets usually once a month,
usually on the 3rd floor of POST at UH to discuss ruby or java or
something about programming. We also have a yahoo email list:
honolulu-coders at yahoogroups.com.

Sam Joseph will present tonight, below is some info about tonight's
meeting. Hope to see you there. There will be free pizza.

Dave

Join the honolulu coders community:
http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/community/sign_up
Member's web page: http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/workspace/5

********** NEW LOCATION INFORMATION **********

This month's meeting will be held in the POST building, room 302, at the
University of Hawaii Manoa campus.

http://www.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/vtour?Manoa=l=POST?

UoH parking information is here:

http://www.hawaii.edu/parking/visitorParking.html

********** NEW MEETING AGENDA **********

The meeting's agenda is as follows:

6:00pm - 6:45pm "LinkLens: a new location concept for information
management " Main talk by Sam Joseph

6:45pm - 7:00pm Discussion

7:15pm - 8.00pm Open Ruby workshop by Sam Joseph

The talk abstract and speaker biography is as follows:

Main Talk Title: LinkLens: a new location concept for information management

Main Talk Abstract:

LinkLens is a new approach to information management that provides an
intuitive mix of tagging and folder hierarchies. LinkLens has been
developed in rails and this talk is intended to show as much about
development in rails as it does about the prototype LinkLens interface
which is still in its early stages. LinkLens allows a user to search the
sets of associations between different artifacts such as users,
resources, files, discussions and so on. In the web interface all
artifacts can be dragged and dropped into a context box and the set of
artifacts associated with the those in the context box are then
displayed. The contents of the context box form a location, so other
artifacts can then be dragged and dropped into the results pane which
causes them to acquire associations with the current context artifacts.
This creates a sense of location associated with a set of artifacts and
this serves as an alternative to locations defined by structured
hierachies. The LinkLens system was fast prototyped in Ruby on Rails and
makes extensive use of Ruby on Rails AJAX support.

Main Talk Biography:

Sam Joseph is an assistant researcher in the Department of Information
and Computer Science. Not to be confused with being a research
assistant. Sam has created a full time position for himself by bringing
in industry grants to fund research into computer assisted learning and
augmented reality. Sam has a PhD in cognitive science from the
University of Edinburgh in the UK, and spent a number of years wandering
in industry before returning to the academic fold. He has been
programming in Java since 1998 and in ruby since 2005. His main research
interests are learning & memory, online communities and augmented
reality/mobile computing.

Open Ruby workshop:

Join Sam Joseph as he dicks around with the Ruby console showing us cool
Ruby tricks he learnt this week. Bring along your Ruby programming
questions and we can scratch our heads together :-)

UPCOMING MEETINGS:
April 25th 6-8pm UH POST 302 The Design of Sites Sam Joseph
May 30th 6-8pm UH POST 302 LinkLens Sam Joseph