[LUAU] Price of freedom is a $50 saving

Dave Kiwerski wp2aat at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 26 08:18:47 PDT 2007

Jim Thompson wrote:
> Peter Besenbruch wrote:
>
>> The base Dell laptop comes with 512 meg. of RAM, good to go for
>> Ubuntu, that's for sure. My daughter's school laptop has been going
>> strong for two years.
>
> 512MB may be enough, but 256MB is not.
>
> I just loaded xubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 2600 for my father (it had
> belonged to my step mother.)  It has 256MB and a 1GHz p3.  Neither
> Ubuntu or kubuntu would successfully install on it.
>
> Jim

Probably the 256Mb isn't enough for the larger graphical desktops.   I
have a Sceptre laptop, P3 800 MHz with 512 Mb RAM that took Suse/KDE
with no problem.   That was, until my daughter decided that it was too
slow for her and slammed the top closed and killed the hard drive.   Now
my eldest son has it and simply loves it (he has more patience).   I'm
running Mepis 6.0.4 and 6.5 on my six computers here.   My laptop (Dell
D600) has 6.5 and I've been very happy with this distribution.   I
started looking for something else when I got fed up with the RPM
methodology.   I like the Debian package management much better.   I
like Mepis much better because there is a root account, it was the only
distro that found and set up my wireless card in the laptop (I removed
the Broadcom and installed an Intel a/b/g card), updates are so easy
that my wife is doing her own now.   I also like that fact that I can
easily install a new version and keep all the home directories intact.

Dave