[LUAU] Dell releasing pre-installed consumer Linux machines today

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 22:06:25 PDT 2007

--- Peter Besenbruch <prb at lava.net> wrote:
> Julian Yap wrote:
> > Here's the blog report:
> > http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/24/15994.aspx
> >
> > There's a video with interviews with the Dell Linux team but
> it
> > comes down really slow.  I've mirrored it here:
> > http://hosef.org/media/video/dell_linux_20070524.ogg
>
> So, is anyone actually going to buy one?

Are you questioning whether people would actually buy Linux
pre-installed?  Or whether people would actually buy a Dell
laptop which is hardware support for Linux by Dell?

I have an Inspiron 6000 which has the same casing as the
e1505...  The main difference is the processor as multi-core
processors didn't exist back then when I was in the market to
buy a new laptop.

I also picked the model that I have because it was well
supported (non-Windows OS wise) with an Intel chipset, Intel
integrated graphics and drivers...  Over time, things have
improved as well such as the SD card reader works,
suspend/hibernate works nicely and the promise of better battery
life with the 2.6.21 kernel.

So I applaud the fact that Dell has brought out hardware
supported consumer machines.  It means you don't need to spend
time researching sites like this:
http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

- Julian