[LUAU] Dis N Dat

Jacques L. Yerby muho at well.com
Fri Mar 30 19:41:52 PDT 2007

Aloha,

I'm a retiree with some things I'd like to try.

My background:  computer operations and management (USAF), computer
security (Space Shuttle); software development (Army Helicopter Improvement
Program); software & network admin (GSA @ Hickam, PH, and Wheeler); and
instructor (HPU).

Years ago I bought the infamous Slackware Linux Bible and installed Slackware
on my PC (Compaq I think).  I did it manually to include a phone dialer
(remember them?)

Now I am running SuSe 10 on a Sony VAIO desktop with Windows XP Home.
I also have a Gateway Laptop with XP Pro and a brand new MacBook dual-core
Intel with the latest version of OS X.  This brings me to what I want to do.

Some questions:
1. You guys have been partial to Ubuntu in the past.  What is/are the more
popular easy to install distributions these days?

2.  I usually pre-allocate my partition space for Linux.  I don't trust auto
partitioning.  What's a recommended partition size for Linux?

3.  I'm assuming that I can install Linux on an external USB2 drive and plug i
it in to boot on my laptop.

4.  Multiple Linux boots:  Are most distributions similar enough that one can
install then into the same partion(s) and give each kernel a different name
in the /boot directory?  Or would it be better to create a separate /boot for
each distribution.  I am assuming that /usr /var /etc and the rest are pretty
standard across the Linux universe or am I wrong.

5.  Can one put freeBSD on an external USB2 drive?

The rest are MacBook questions.

1.  Is there a special distribution for Intel Macs or will any distribution
run under Boot Camp?

2.  Will Linux run under the Parallel software?

3.  Is there a standalone distribution for the Intel Mac?  I guess this is a
variation of #1 above.

4.  I am assuming that here also I can install onto an external USB or
Firewire
drive to save space on the smallish internal drive.

I have 4 palm sized HD models designed for laptops:  2 @ 40GB, 1 60GB
and 1 120GB.  I saw a nice 160GB palm sized HD at Costco for about $130
a few weeks ago.

Anyway, suggestions are appreciated.

Mahalo,
Jacques L. Yerby