[LUAU] Top 10 Best / Worst Cities For Software Developer Pay

Maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Sun Mar 25 18:03:55 PDT 2007

Hawaii's real estate market actually looks a lot better than other areas.
Since real estate is a regional business and not a national business I would
tend to think you might see a small dip rather than "the sky is falling" .
In comparison to the national averages, Hawaii's subprime loans are far
below what they are on the mainland.

I don't see a market crash. I see the possibility of a small downward trend
as the condo market must absorb what was recently built but single family
homes are averaging 62 days on the market which is also far below the
national average and our housing inventory is at 6.2 months compared to the
national average of above 8 months.

Not only that but new townhomes and tract projectrs are conducting lotteries
to enable folks to buy homes. With 30 homes to be built more than 300 people
are showing up at these sales. Demand is still pretty strong here.

So to answer your question about prices here stabilizing and rising, no I
don't think 2020 is a good prediction. There were a lot of factors that
contributed to the stagnation here amoung them the crash of the Japanese
economy. With that a lot of money was pulled out of Hawaii and the sound of
air escaping Hawaii's economy could be heard for years. The economy here has
been fairly strong and looks to slowing some now but not stopping nor going
backwards. I think real estate will remain strong here.

Like I said in my last post, solve the VC problem and a software industry
might have a better chance of surviving.

MD