[LUAU] Top 10 Best / Worst Cities For Software Developer Pay

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sat Mar 24 17:32:40 PDT 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Maddog wrote:

> All that is good but by many standards those with money from the
> single family market won't become VC investors.
I didn't (mean to) imply that they would.

> By real estate I meant more along the lines of hotel, condo and
> timeshare developers and investors. Even that market is in decline
> and we will see the same problems that happened here in the late
> 80's and through the 90's when the place was over built and the
> market had to absorb the excess. That took 12 years.

So you're predicting 2020 before we're back to last year's prices?

> Real estate overall is a safe bet. Over time the investment gains
> in value.

Yes, but this isn't the question.  The question is relative
performance .vs other investments, and the relative risk profiles of
each.

Does home ownership beat the Dow?  The NASDAQ?   Are you better
served by having a smaller house, and putting the balance of what you
would have spent in house payments in the market?

> VC investing is much riskier.
Yes, and the potential rewards are higher.

> I think tax breaks and a concentration on turning out quality
> software engineers will go a lot farther to help build an industry.

This is so 'Hawaii'.  'The state will fix it.'

Have we checked that the CS programs at UH and elsewhere are
'full'?    While we're at it, which CS 'world view' do we want taught
to the students:
The conservative view: Computer programs have become too large and
complex to encompass in a human mind. Therefore, the job of computer
science education is to teach people how to discipline their work in
such a way that 500 mediocre programmers can join together and
produce a program that correctly meets its specification.

The radical view: Computer programs have become too large and complex
to encompass in a human mind. Therefore, the job of computer science
education is to teach people how to expand their minds so that the
programs can fit, by learning to think in a vocabulary of larger,
more powerful, more flexible ideas than the obvious ones. Each unit
of programming thought must have a big payoff in the capabilities of
the program.

Of course nobody would admit to endorsing the first approach as I've
described it, yet many introductory programming courses seem to spend
half their time on obscure rules of the programming language
(semicolons go between the instructions in Pascal, but after each
instruction in C) and the other half on stylistic commandments (thou
shalt comment each procedure with its preconditions and
postconditions; thou shalt not use goto).

In an article that was not intended as a caricature, Edsger Dijkstra
argued that beginning computer science students should not be allowed
to use computers, lest they learn to debug their programs
interactively instead of writing programs that can be proven correct
by formal methods before testing. [``On the Cruelty of Really
Teaching Computer Science,'' Communications of the ACM, vol. 32, no.
12, December, 1989.]

The radical view is symbolic processing, but thats not taught in CS
courses any longer (at least its not a core requirement at UH, or
HCC, as far as I can tell.)

> It has been proven time and again to work. In the short run there
> are setbacks but in the longrun it is very profitable. Look at San
> Diego, Raleigh, NC, and the Boston/Jersey areas. All the technology
> companies there were attracted by tax breaks and the universities
> concentrating on turning out IP and a workforce.

All these areas have strong VC markets as well.

> The VC problem is a large part of the puzzle though and I don't
> what the hell can be done about that. The Hawaii Venture Capital
> Association has tried to get the state to create a fund but I think
> the only way to get VC's here for the second round or to convince
> some of the RE investors to part with their cash, is to have
> matching government funds (for now). How about you Jim, any ideas?
> Maybe something can be hatched on this list and passed on to the
> governor?

My view is that success breeds interest.   A few small, successful,
Hawaii-based startups will attract the right kinds of attention and
capital needed to fund others.

I do agree with you that discourse (on-list or elsewhere) is a
necessary first step.

jim