[LUAU] Vista: thin edge of the wedge

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Mar 20 17:25:23 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Peter Besenbruch wrote:

> Jim Thompson wrote:
>> http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html
>
> Do you not like Microsoft, or something? ;) Seriously, you probably
> are preaching to the choir here.

I think they're playing a very dangerous game.  Consider this "ammo
for the choir".   Information to use during the coming battle.

(oooh... "war metaphors"!)

> I bailed from Windows when XP started keying their copy protection
> to the specific machine it was installed on. Sure, there were
> cracks, but I didn't want to go there. It was copy protection that
> got me searching for a Windows replacement, back in the Fall of
> 2002. Had Microsoft not implemented that, I would still be using
> Windows.

I never had the opportunity to "bail" from Windows unless you want to
count the 14 months at Wayport when I acquiesced and allowed them to
"give" me a Windows notebook circa 1999, rather than the linux-
powered Dell that I'd brought with me.   This after months of my
strict refusal to read any "Office" documents that were forwarded to
me and stern lectures about the true cost of Microsoft's licensing.

The CFO was a big Microsoft fan.   He gulped, *HARD* after I had the
audit done, and presented him with the several hundred thousand
dollar PO in order to bring the company into license compliance.  Heh
heh.   At Vivato I forced the issue and they gave me a Mac to use
rather than a high-end Windows laptop, breaking open the CEO's edict
of a Windows/Exchange only company.

Otherwise, I've been working on Unix or Linux since September of
1980, with brief bouts on Lisp machines and ITS and a sporadic
scattering of VMS and RSTS in the early 1980s.  (They were production
systems...)

Course, I had a Sun 3/160 at home connected to work over a pair of
Telebit Trailblazer modems running SLIP back in 1988.
We named the "site" "convex-east" as I lived about .6 miles directly
East of HQ.   Geez, that was almost 20 years ago!   By 1991
I had a bigger Sun at home (now in Garland, TX) connected over a 56K
"DS0" to Sun's network, and I've always preferred connected computers
to those that couldn't be connected.  Windows is still a client, a
mere "slave" to the network.

Jim