[LUAU] Top 10 Best / Worst Cities For Software Developer Pay

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 13:16:11 PDT 2007

> Why does Hawaii pay so little when the cost of living is so high?

For better or worse the answer comes down to: Because it can. Also called the "price of paradise".

I asked this question when I came back home after being away for 30 years and making a living as a software engineer in the Boston area. (Actually, if you search the archives of this forum, you'll find that there was a fairly lengthy discussion about this a couple of years ago.) It's the answer I was given consistently from many sources. I didn't like it nor did I want to believe it. But currently, I think it's accurate.

Hawaii does not have a comprehensive approach to competing with other technological centers. If it did, I think it's fair to say that the overall COL index would be adjusted either in terms of salaries or housing, or some combination.

It remains to be seen whether it ever will. Typical politicians' solutions to this problem (like Act 221) are not sufficient.

Hawaii-based companies can pay relatively suppressed wages because--so far--they find enough people willing to work here just because they want to be in Hawaii.

Basically, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit your butt on your way to San Francisco (or, I guess, Houston;-)

-Stan