[LUAU] Linux HD Recovery

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Fri Jan 19 20:56:47 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:32:34AM -1000, John S. Johnson wrote:
> HD is intact, but the motherboard is kaput. It's an old Athlon
> and the system I am attaching it to via external USB drive is a
> recent Dell. I don't think it would be bootable, since the OS
> is so different(even if I put the drive inside).

Did you try? The two stumbling blocks to this approach are the
processor and hard disk controller. If those are compatible and
the filesystems are intact, it should come right up.

If that fails, then boot off Knoppix and try a vgscan. What would
really help is copy of your lvm config which unfortunately sits
under /etc/lvm.

> Also, since the system went down hard, I am sure there are
> going to be inconsistencies with the drive. Although I don't
> have drive in front of me, I believe I remember having problems
> stemming from inconsistencies when I ran vgscan and vgchange
> ???a y. How can I clean up the inconsistencies? Thanks!

A quote from DriverSavers if your data is important.

-Vince