[LUAU] Sun adds further comments to GPLv3 Solaris possibilities

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 11:05:46 PST 2007

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6157761.html

A GPLv3 Solaris kernel would be good news for the Free Software
community as it would mean they could leave the Linux kernel
(and the politics) where it vocally wants to stay at GPLv2.

Schwarz on the other hand is a supporter of GPLv3:
And regarding Java, Schwartz said in an interview: "We did
version 2 with Java because version 3 wasn't out. When we have
version 3, Java will likely go to 3."

Solaris vs. Linux actually understands issues:
For his part, Schwartz said patent protections expected in GPLv3
make it more appealing than the current GPLv2. It's a "license
you can use without fear of a patent attack," he said.

- Julian