[LUAU] France Surrenders to FOSS

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Feb 5 20:42:48 PST 2007

175,000 USB keys, $20 each, full of FOSS.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/
French_kids_get_open_source_on_USB/0,130061733,339273416,00.htm

widget:~ jim$ bc -lq
3380000/175000
19.31428571428571428571

2GB USB keys sell for $22 or so, quantity one.

   There are about 1864,000 students in Hawaii's public schools
(based on the 2005-2006 NCLB testing report).

in 100K quantities, we should be able to get 2GB USB keys for $10 or
under, pre-loaded.

A full load of Ubuntu 6.10 already fits on a 2GB USB key with 1.2GB
free.   Plenty of room for files and other applications.

Thats a cool two dollars to equip every student in a DOE student with
a full linux computer that works wherever they go
(and yes, its possible to make it boot on nearly any computer that
supports USB, albeit sometimes into Windows first.)

Might be just the thing for Kuokoa.   Heck, we could sell em.    Or
contract to provide service (specialized apt repositories to deal
with the language, calendar, ... stuff) at $1 each / year.

jim