[LUAU] so much for OpenBSD

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Aug 6 15:18:52 PDT 2007

There are a plethora of "operating systems" one could run on a
computer.   OpenBSD and Windows do not represent anything like an
endpoint on the continuum.

While the OpenBSD approach, ("inspect the source by hand", which they
term an "audit"), while yielding some results, is fundamentally flawed.

Read it and weep for OpenBSD:  http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/fluke/html/
inevit-abs.html

As proof, there are other computer architectures which have not been
hacked, despite tremendous efforts, and others which were only hacked
once (Multics), and then only because someone left a low-level
debugger configured in-place.  OpenBSD (and most of the other *nix-
based platforms) do not, for instance, implement BIBA by default.
Linux has the SElinux extensions which are now part of the 2.6 kernel
series, though not enabled by default, when last I checked.

In FreeBSD land, there is a project named TrustedBSD.
TrustedBSD provides a set of extensions to FreeBSD to add support for
{ACLs, Capabilities, Mandatory Access Control, Auditing} as well as
supporting features to implement them. These features are being
integrated into the base operating system distribution, with the
intent that they be "part of FreeBSD".

Restated, the OpenBSD and TrustedBSD projects have largely different
thrusts: the OpenBSD project seeks to provide a correct and bug-free
POSIX implementation (where correctness includes a focus on failing
to suffer from security holes). It also includes cryptography-related
features as a primary development goal, hence early development and
integration of IPsec in the base system (and a continuing high level
of maturity of their implementation), as well as their work on
OpenSSH.  TrustedBSD project seeks to introduce a variety of
features, some described in the defunct POSIX.1e draft.  These
include MLS (with fixex-label BIBA), MAC, ACLs, FLASK and Type
Enforcement.

Its possible (and perhaps probable) that OpenBSD will pick up some of
the TrustedBSD work, but this just proves that you can't look to
OpenBSD as "the secure operating system".   Solaris has had similar
work in-place for *years*.

Whats next is the integration of source control into the mechanisms
for patching running systems, just the thing that IBM and Lisp
Machine environments (*) had in the 80s and before.

These are the kinds of systems that we are now having to rediscover
to be able to respond quickly when hackers find security flaws in our
running systems.

My 'complaint' about OpenBSD was really more "finger pointing" at
their flawed response.   They really wanted to preserve the "N years
since a remote exploit", but could not.

Though it took five years for the last one, you get no guarantees
that the next one isn't being discovered while I type this.

Jim

(*) interestingly, you cant mount several popular attacks (buffer/
stack over-runs, etc) on Lisp Machines, either.