[LUAU] Its time to simply ban Windoze machines from the Internet

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu Oct 19 15:54:31 PDT 2006

> Can one write malware for a non-Windows platform?  Sure.
> Can one run malware from a non-privileged account?  Sure.
> Can one get people to install malware on a non-Windows platform?  Sure
>
> Does Windows offer a more attractive target, especially because
> a) its huge installed base

Yes.

> b) its proclivity for running in a mode where very few restrictions are in
> place
> c) its got more holes than swiss cheese

No.

> Sure.   But now we're back to "its time to simply ban Windoze machines from
> the Internet."

Why, so that the installed base of another operating system grows and the
same exact situation arises again for another operating system?

This is the entirety of my point -- removing all windows machines does
nothing to solve the problem.  It just changes the preferred platform of
attacks...

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/