[LUAU] Call for Panelists to join OpenSource Pizza on Tues, 17 Oct

Ron Fox rfox at hosef.org
Fri Oct 13 19:24:05 PDT 2006

The next OpenSource Pizza meeting, hosted by HOSEF, will be a
question/answer/demonstration format presented by a panel of FOSS
developers, adminstrators and application users.  If you consider yourself
one of these and would like to participate, please contact me offlist at
rfox at hosef.org or by reply on to LUAU or HOSEF Management Discussion
lists.

We will have room for about 8 panelists at the front of the room, with
laptop video plugged into a Raritan Master Console KVM switch feeding the
overhead projector at 1024x768.  There is a single Windows PC in the room
with a wired connection to the Internet that can be used to demonstrate
anything that's browser-based.  If possible and time permitting, we'll
have a wired network available with DHCP through an FOSS router/firewall
through the UH network for those who need a connection.  Windows machines
and Macs welcome as long as you're talking about FOSS applications on
those OS's.

This is an opportunity for the Free/OpenSource Community in Hawaii to
inspire people with no FOSS experience to take the first step.  As such,
I'd like to propose a few ground rules to avoid bogging down in some
well-known tarpits:

1) No discussion of "Which is Better? Linux or {insert non-Linux OS name
here}"
2) No discussion of "Is it Free Software or OpenSource Software or F/OSS"
or "Is it properly Linux or GNU/Linux".
3) Focus on the positive aspects of FOSS but without hyperbole.
4) Convey your answers to questions concisely so that we can cover as much
diversity in the hour as possible.

I will compile a list of leading questions that I've run into to be used
to "prime the pump" and in case questions from the audience start to wane.
Please help me with questions for this list from your experience.

Even if you're not planning to be on the panel, please join us and lend us
all the benefit of your presence - you may just be the only one in the
room with a good answer to a question.

Regards,
Ron Fox