[LUAU] the term "open source" is dead, says Eben Moglen

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Nov 23 12:58:04 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Julian Yap wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 13:25 -1000, Jimen Ching wrote:
>> YOU don't NEED to care.  A lot of people don't NEED to care.  As long as
>> there are people who do care and are willing to fight for those rights.
>> You'll continue to enjoy the benefits.  That's how it worked in the past.
>> That's how it's going to work in the future.  What you're seeing now is
>> just the process...
>
> That takes the view that there's enough people fighting for freedom in
> the first place and that they will actually win.

True.  Are you saying this view is wrong semantically, wrong ethically, or
wrong in some other way?

It's my observation that the number of people who fight (meaning actively
doing something beyond writing to your congressman) are a lot less than
the number of people who benefit.  Are you suggesting otherwise?

Also, when I said peopled aren't needed to care about these issues, it
doesn't mean they aren't wanted.  If people want to join the fight, I'm
sure they will be welcomed.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org