[LUAU] the term "open source" is dead, says Eben Moglen

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Nov 21 18:28:34 PST 2006

The "term" Open Source was a marketing campaign, promulgated by Eric
Raymond, to make Free Software "safe for business", and cloak himself
in glory...

That goal seems to have been reached, though not in the way that "the
community" might have liked.  MSFT has now "co-opted" "Open Source"
for its own ends.

Embrace and Extend anyone?

As you know, Raymond later claimed that 'we no longer need the GPL".
I suggest that the opposite is true, and that we've never needed it
more.

(Note that the BSD license is a "Free Software" license, as is the X
license.)