[LUAU] Some newbie FreeBSD questions

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 11 19:44:40 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm doing some reading/research to check out FreeBSD.  I have
installed on a virtual machine.  Just have some questions for
the experts on LUAU.

Why is it that when I initially add a package using 'pkg_add' it
doesn't grab the latest version for that package?

For example, I installed firefox (installs version 1.5.0.1) and
I immediately require an upgrade via Ports as the version it
installs is out-of-date and insecure.

How do you keep the /usr/ports directory small?  On my test
install it's over 1.1GB even after running portsclean with all
the available options.

As it is, I dedicated 4GB of space to my virtual machine and 1.2
GB to the /usr partition.  So when I run 'portupgrade firefox'
it runs out of disk space.

If you _knew you needed to install some huge port that would
take up a lot of disk space to build (say Firefox), can you make
the ports directory really small?  Or can you have a _very
minimal Ports directory?

Thanks,
~ Julian