[LUAU] KnoppMyth

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sat May 27 00:49:31 PDT 2006

Wayne Maeda wrote:

> Thanks, but what's the advantage of one over the other? Or are there any
> major differences? Is one easier to install? I was thinking of getting
> into MythTV after reading about the LUAU install "fest" a few months ago.
>
> Wayne
The MythTV install fest organized by Matt was based on KnoppMyth.  Of
course you can install MythTV on any distro, but due to its relatively
high degree of complexity (anything so powerful has a "price" tag), you
need to have (1) some Linux knowledge (which I believe you do); (2) lots
of time (most of us don't); (3) the right hardware; and (4) lots of help
from those who have done it.

As I mentioned in the original thread, KnoppMyth requires a dedicated
machine (or you can make do with a removable HD rack); thus, ideally,
you would want to install MythTV on a regular distro.

I have been playing with MythTV on SuSE, on and off, for a couple of
months, with limited success.  It may be easier to install MythTV on
Fedora, but I am in the process of avoiding Fedora as much as possible.
There is even a one-CD Fedora-based distro pre-configured for MythTV
("MythDora").  I've also heard sucecss stories of installing MythTV in
Gentoo and Ubuntu.  However, there is only so much time each of us can
have.  That's why sharing and aggregating our experience is so
critical.  Wayne