[LUAU] Fedora's way forward

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Fri Mar 31 09:46:50 PST 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:

> Since many here fun Fedora, I thought I'd point to this thread where
> Eric Raymond (you know who he is) suggests that Fedora needs some help.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/36702
>
> Its an interesting read, if for no other reason than a community of
> open source developers taking issue with ESR, explaining the reasons
> why they prefer "open source" rather than the proprietary code that
> Eric thinks would be best added to a near-future Fedora release.
>
> Jim

Since I switched to SuSE 10 3~4 months ago (thanx to Michael Bishop and
others), there has been no looking back.  If this is not yet the best
operating system, it certainly will be.  (Since Windows XP can be easily
made a subset of SuSE, via the free VMWare Player, this statement, at
the very least,  applies to Windows.)

I am sure many Linux users will make similar claims re their favorite
distros.  This is the beauty about Linux (and OpenSolaris).

If you plan to play with SuSE, make sure that your read the "JEM SUSE"
report (do a google and you'll see what that means), and follow the
instructions for post-installation fine-tuning.  Oh, also if you run
SuSE as your desktop OS, make sure that you change the formatting from
the default Reiser to ext3.  This can make a difference b/t day and
night in performance.  Wayne