[LUAU] Preemptive Financing

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Mon Mar 20 14:55:03 PST 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:
> Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>

>> Today's (03/20/06) Wall Street Journal has an article about
>> "preemptive financing" (i.e., investors will shower you with cash
>> before you have a presentable corporative structure or even a workable
>> product).  The average valuation that venture capital groups are
>> willing to give to a pre-startup has jumped from $10M two years ago to
>> over $15M.  Sorry, I don't have a link.  Wayne
>>

> This made /. more than 8 hours ago:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/06/03/20/0647221.shtml
>
> http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114282030825002662-WsKRxguaW3lK1G_Le2jFAW9dCn8_20070319.html?mod=blogs

H'come you always beat me, Jim?

This week's BusinessWeek also has a cover story about measuring the
"fast-ness" of today's companies.  Implicit in its message is the
critical importance to adopt open-sourced software.  IOW, if you have to
wait for Microsoft to build development tools for you, you might just as
well plan to close your shop.

BTW, I was reading SUN's announcement on Java Web Services Developer
Pack 2.0 (Java WSDP), which includes SUN's recently updated NetBeans
5.0.  Things (re web services) are really getting exciting.  Anyone
cares to comment?  (I am mainly interested in incorporating NetBeans
into OOo.)  Wayne