[LUAU] Windows Vista will be an improvement in security and stability...

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Mar 1 13:49:47 PST 2006

Peter Besenbruch wrote:

>> The consumer market is trained to demand something brand new and flashy.

why else would they keep spending money on the same thing in a new package?

>> See also the 'disappointment' to Apple's recent announcement.  The
>> Windows market demands new features and therefore new code and therefore
>> the accompanying new security holes/risks.
>>
>> Linux on the other hand follows a largely iterative process to software
>> development.
>

> The running joke with my kids every weekly update from Debian (mostly
> Etch) involves my announcing that I have made massive changes to their
> system. They respond, "And we won't notice any difference." True, they
> won't. That's a good thing.

Mostly.  Until they make you redundant because all systems are on
auto-pilot.  (You do run cron-apt, yes?)

Apple and Winders do the "software update" thing pretty well too.  The
difference is that more of your system can come in the "distribution"
with linux (or {free,net,open}bsd), and therefore, more of it gets /
stays upgraded.

Most FOSS applications tend to not be full of "Mystery Meat"
(undocumented plist files, registry entires, etc.)  These also tend to
break less than their OSX/Windows equivalents.