[LUAU] Free Niagara Server (60-day trial)

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Wed Mar 1 02:14:06 PST 2006

I looked at the original post and noted there is a lag of 5 days b/t the
English original (posted 02/24/06) and the Japanese translation
(03/01/06).  If we are doing business in Japan, small things like this
can mean critical advantages.  (Of course, this is a bad example, as the
original offer was made on 12/21/05.)

Recently (02/22/06), there's a two-part series about the "superior"
advantages of Solaris that have been largely ignored by the press (in
Chinese):

http://taiwan.cnet.com/enterprise/features/0,2000062876,20103443,00.htm

http://taiwan.cnet.com/enterprise/features/0,2000062876,20103444,00.htm

I expect Solaris to really pick up momentum in China and Japan this
year.  For some reasons, Linux has always been illusory in these
countries, especially in China, but OpenSolaris could change this.
Anyone who is interested in playing with Solaris 10 or Solaris Express,
please contact me.  If you don't want to go through the tedious process
of installing the entire OS, you can try a couple of different LiveCDs.
NexentaOS (Solaris kernel + GNU libraries + recompiled Ubuntu packages)
Alpha 3 is an interesting toy.  Belenix 0.4, OTOH, is a miniaturized
Solaris OS on a bootable CD.  If the latter, because of display
problems, you should wait for version 0.41, which should come out in a
couple of weeks.  I am thinking about putting together a Solaris Express
VM image, but it may be a while.  There is also a third OpenSolaris
LiveCD which is text-based, but I can't think of its name offhand.

Anyway, I really wish we could have an established organization which
could take up Schwartz's offer to try this 8-core 9.6 GHz (collectively
speaking) Niagara.  Wayne