[LUAU] the backlash against Apple has started, enabled by Ubuntu (*)

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Jun 29 17:04:14 PDT 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Matt Darnell wrote:

> On 6/29/06, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:
>>  Sure was fun to see linux probe and enable "32" CPUs
>> (8 threads x 4 cores).
>
> How did that run?

Like a raped ape.  'make -j' flies.

> Are there any applicaitons you found that could
> make use of '32' processors?

mysql, and then I had to force it, but... for your application, I
just "happen to know" (because I've got two friends in the top of
V***ge) that V***ge is using T1000s and T2000 for their VOIP
forwarding/routing.  (SIP Express Router, not unlike your company.)

> You can't get blood from a rock, but it seems like if a bunch of
> apps could have a dedicated 'CPU' it would be
> quicker responding.

Or a bunch of threads in one app, assuming that there isn't a lot of
thread-interdependency.

Jim