[LUAU] httpd version?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 16:36:10 PDT 2006

--- Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> My immediate problem is that I want to get apache's httpd
> working on a
> system where I just installed fedora core 5. It's just lying
> there in
> /usr/sbin, and I don't even know how to figure out what
> version it is.
> So how do I figure out what version of httpd is installed
> here? Go to
> fedora web site somewhere?

I have FC5 installed on my work machine as my primary OS at the
moment.

FC5 currently uses version 2.2.0 of Apache.

On Fedora systems run (edited for clarity):
$ yum info httpd
Name   : httpd
Arch   : i386
Version: 2.2.0
Release: 5.1.2
Size   : 2.7 M
Repo   : installed

or:
$ rpm -q httpd
httpd-2.2.0-5.1.2

Fedora is focussed on being very cutting edge and developer
driven.  If you are installing a permanent server, I'd recommend
the Linux distribution CentOS which is based off the sources of
"a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor."  Security
updates for the latest version of CentOS are planned to be
released until Feb 29, 2012.

> Then I need to get ssl and php working. Just head to the
> apache web
> site? google? How would you approach this?

To get php working.

Check to see if you have it installed:
$ rpm -q php
package php is not installed

Install it with yum:
$ yum install php

It should work out of the box (with a restart of Apache).

SSL is a little more difficult.

Check out the Red Hat System Administration Guide:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/

Specifically, this section:
26. Apache HTTP Secure Server Configuration

~ Julian