[LUAU] Ubuntu

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Jun 2 12:10:18 PDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 18:06 -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> I've been running Ubuntu inside Parallels on my Intel-powered Mac
>> Mini for a while now.   Seems to hang together nicely.
>> Ubuntu (or, better, kubuntu) seems like a far better choice for a
>> desktop than, say Linspire.
>
> Thanks.  What I want is a more in-depth personal/group experience in
> using Ubuntu (or any other distro) in a (simulated or true) corporate
> environment.  I hate to go through the entire process of
> downloading/installation/customization through apt-getting, then
> realize
> that one or two critical elements are missing.

I'm much more concerned about whats happening on the PCs people have
at home.  PCs without
sysadmin resources.

But then, I'm not trying to make money at this.

>> Too bad Sun is laying off 5,000 folks, eh?
>>

> Isn't that why the pony-tailed boss was promoted?  Don't get me
> wrong, I
> respect Schwartz a lot and had been communicating with him.  But a
> man/woman's got to do . . .

Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo
jactatur eodem.

>> Ah well, maybe they'll start charging an arm & leg for Solaris
>> support, trying to keep those Sun sw/support engineers paid.  Folks
>> running on Solaris will probably pay through the teeth.  Cannonical
>> will support your machine for $700/year (base price).
>>
>> Jim
>
> Compared to Exxon, Sun is almost like a mom-&-pop shop, but its
> internal
> politics is at least ten times worse.

This is to be expected.  Until the bottom fell out, Enron was
generating (paper) cash in mountain-sized bales.  Its easy to be
happy when you're cutting power to large swaths of California on a whim.

> I have a ton of suggestions as to how Solaris should be heading,
> but who cares?  Not Sun anyway.

If not Sun, who?

> BTW we have a SuSE 10.0 demo set up at the Hawaii State Bar
> Association
> on Bishop St.

Linux luggin' lawyers.  What next?