[LUAU] should be have a "Hawaii team"?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 13:44:02 PDT 2006

--- Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
>
> Or is the landscape already salted with Fedora-fans?

You meant 'should we have a Hawaii team' I'm guessing.

Ubuntu is particularly suited to "Install Fests" because it's
target audience is common desktop users.  Hence the motto "Linux
for human beings".  Fedora on the other hand can't be considered
such and is geared towards development and testing for RHEL
(RedHat may claim otherwise but read on).

Some key benefits for promoting Ubuntu vs. other distros:
 - It's a 1 disk distro.  Comparatively, FC and OpenSuse are a
minimum 5 CDs.  That means a lot, especially for non-profits
distributing Ubuntu.  It means less resources to create an
install set and less media to consume per install.
 - Fast install.  "On a typical computer, the Ubuntu
installation should be done in less than 25 minutes."  No
swapping out of CDs.
 - Update notifications turned on and prominently displayed.
 - Updates are backported.  Comparitively, FC 5 initially
shipped with the 2.6.15 kernel.  It's now updated to 2.6.17.  On
a June 15, 2006 installation with Office and Development
packages selected, there was a total download size of 541Mb
worth of updates.
 - Most hardware works out of the box.  Ubuntu has the supported
Restricted repository which "also may contain binary firmware...
that cannot be modified without permission from their authors"
so long as their "redistribution is unencumbered."  FC on the
other does not ship binary firmware.
 - Distribution updates support.  The latest Ubuntu release will
be supported for 3 years.  FC releases become legacy once
Release +2 Test 2 comes out.  ie. Fedora Core 4 will become
legacy at the release of Fedora Core 6 test 2 (scheduled July
26, 2006).

On another note, I just requested 200 Ubuntu and 200 Edubuntu
CDs for HOSEF from the free ShipIt service.  This may take a
while to get here.  If you are able to personally order smaller
quantities and pass them on to HOSEF or myself, we'll make sure
they get distributed. --> https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

~ Julian