[LUAU] Authorization problem on email server

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Mon Jul 10 02:14:38 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:34:24PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> FreeBSD 6.1
>
> I have installed sendmail imap and pop3. I tried installing
> dovecot. I can still send from the admin at hdk5.net user to
> anywhere on the inet. However, I get a bad authentication
> passwd err for the same user when I try to download his mail.

You might consider starting with a basic configuration from the
dovecot wiki before enabling various optional bits:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/DovecotServerInstallations/FreeBSD/6.0RELEASE/20Users

The example uses pam, but if that does not work, try pointing
auth_passdb to shadow or passwd-file /etc/master.passwd.

If you are using actual system users, stay away from UW imap and
stick with dovecot.

> The server box has ssh and I can get onto it with the password
> assigned with no problem. Doesn't the dovecot use the same
> account passwd for the account?

It assumes you have pam. I am not sure if the FreeBSD port for
dovecot patches the default configuration to account for this.

> Or do I have to enable ssl to use the ssh passwrd system which
> is encrypted? I just left ssl off to run unencrypted for
> testing.

SSH and SSL do not interoperate. See the following link for a
less terse explanation:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1818

> This was my problem from the beginning not being able to
> receive, only send to other accounts. But at least dovecot has
> created an err message that says why. I don't know how to fix
> this. Havent found a how to.

Good, because local-host-names should have been all you needed
for sendmail to accept locally bound mail.

-Vince