[LUAU] Is Google going to create its own Linux distro?

prb at lava.net prb at lava.net
Tue Jan 31 12:26:36 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/
>

> Everything Google has touched, turned to gold, except the video....that
> sucks

Actually, my experience with Google video has been with links submitted
via Digg, and it wasn't too bad. That was all free stuff, of course.

Personally, I have trouble imagining that Google would want to get into
the Desktop OS business. Ubuntu isn't bad, but the only way anyone will
profit is if they sell computers in volume with Linux pre-installed. As
the article states, one possibility is a version of Ubuntu tweaked for
internal use. That would make more sense.

And completely unrelated, I have been using Kanotix for the last year
and a half. It is quite good.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky