[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Mon Jan 30 00:03:08 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:
> On 1/29/06, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
>>
>> Novell *has* migrated their own stuff.  They address this subject well.
>>   Rana Dutt definitely could have taught you a few things about big time
>> VOIP deployments.  I fear, Matt, you are determined to stick to your
>> opinion in spite of the facts.
>

> If by facts you mean ultimate truths, you might be right - 2+2=4....if by
> facts you mean the common understanding, you could no be more wrong.  If you
> were correct, every single person who heard about TCON would have crazy not
> to attend.  All that knowledge, experience, and brain power in one place.

I really don't follow this.  For the most part, people did not attend
because of the time of year, time of week, and time of day.  Next year
we will do this on Friday and Saturday.

> Most people believe that the first step to fixing a problem is identifying
> it.  TCON's problem might only a be marketing and perception problem.
> I believe (no facts to back this up, but as we determined earlier, that is
> my style, I guess that is why I do so well business)

What business is it that you do so well.

  you think the local OSS
> establishment let you down by not attending TCON.  You should be mad at the
> California OSS groups for not attending.

I am not mad at anyone for not attending.  I am frustrated with myself
for not doing better.  If you wish to productively contribute, shall I
add you to our planning list and invite you to meetings?  Will you be
able to commit time?  Will you deliver on your commitment?

   Ask yourself, why didn't they
> come.  Same why I ask myself why didn't XYZ buy my product.  I see the value
> of my product, they must be stupid.  If I continue to sell my product the
> same way, who is being stupid, me or the customers that keep saying no?

We had an outstanding first year and a strong second year.  Lots of
things can be better, and they will be.  I have asked myself plenty,
Matt, about what I could have done better.  Unlike most businesses, the
successes, failures, and shortcomings of HOSEF remain in the open and
pretty well documented on our hosef-managers list.

> We are definitely interested in informed, pro-active, and *timely* help.
>

> You should have asked that question 10 months b4 TCON, not 10 days, that
> would have been timley.

Announcements about *TPOSSCON*, that is the name, Matt, not TCON*, were
made here on LUAU and on hosef-managers far more than 10 days before the
event.  I began asking those on hosef-managers for help a long time ago
- where were you and all this know-it-all attitude when it was needed?

I am so very interested in informed feedback, but not when you state
mis-truths and consider an "I told you so" or "You should have" to be
professional or appropriate.

> -M

--scott