[LUAU] Bios won't see hd.

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 19:03:33 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 15:16 -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> My friend has a Dell Precision 420 with bios A-07. He wants to load DOS
> in a 2.x gig drive and use this box to replace an old 486 SX box he has
> with a program he needs for his business on it.
> I looked at it and tried to get a 2.X gig  drive to be recognized but
> this Pentium 3 800 mz Dell box won't find it and the user bios settings
> won't stick above a 1000 MB drive.
> Anyone know if a bios upgrade would fix this or is there a trick to
> force it to see the drive?

I don't think I a BIOS upgrade will do anything but you can take a look
at the release notes.  The nature of BIOS upgrades is that they fix
obscure old bugs or add future improvements and support.  Being a P3,
the drive should work.

I'd look at the 2GB hard disk drive and note down the
cylinders/heads/etc.. settings it says.  Then set them manually in BIOS.

> I had a similar problem trying to get a Dell Lap top to take a bigger HD
> and didn't have any luck.

Now this might be a BIOS upgrade issue.  You'd have to provide details
of what you're doing.

.. It's really hard to tell without looking at it all.

- Julian